Thursday, February 19, 2009

What Do You Want? Information!

Even a brief glance through this blog might convince people that I don't know what I am talking about.

I didn't take a degree in anything, let alone library and information studies.

I am enjoying the Effing Librarian, and the Annoyed Librarian's posts (see blog list on the right). And I refuse to make the word 'library' a taboo - in spite of all the image problems.

"We are librarians working in libraries, not audience development officers working in infotainment provision centers."
The Annoyed Librarian, posting at Library Journal.

The effing librarian's comment on the above article

I dropped out of school before A-Levels, back in 1964.  At the time I had no idea that much of my generation would drop out in disgust with the form of education we were offered, and its irrelevance to the world we expected to end up living in (and here we are!)  I didn't join in with college sit-ins, and trying to change the system, I just walked away, so if education curricula improved at all I can take no credit.

I won't bore you with how and why I ended up in show-biz, films and circus - but they all seem a long way from books, I know.  Ten years ago (turning 50) I took a job in a library, and I'm still here.  I had always been a user of libraries (more so, having dropped out of formal education) so have a certain zeal about providing such a service to maverick autodidacts (who always tend to show off their vocabulary, apparently - something to do with an inferiority complex).  OK, OK, the self-taught and lifelong learners.

Prisoner: Where am I?

Number Two: In The Village.
Prisoner: What do you want?
Number Two: Information.
Prisoner: Which side are you on?
Number Two: That would be telling. We want information, information, information...
Prisoner: You won't get it.
Number Two: By hook or by crook we will.
Prisoner: Who are you?
Number Two: The new Number Two.
Prisoner: Who is Number One?
Number Two: You are Number Six.
Prisoner: I am not a number. I am a free man.
Number Two: Ha, ha, ha, ha....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails